The treatment room is managed by a Practice Nurse every weekday, to book in to the treatment room please contact reception. The Practice Nurse will be able to help you with:
- Immunisations for holiday travel
- General advice
- Ear syringing (after a 10 day cycle of ear drops/olive oil) (Subject to a waiting list)
- Cervical smears
Smaller operations are done under local anaesthetic by several doctors in the practice and are carried out in the treatment room. For advice please consult your doctor.
Currently cervical smears are recommended in Somerset every three years for 25-49 year olds and every five years for patients between 50 and 64.
The nurse can give:
- All immunisations required for travel abroad. Please note there is a charge for this service: Yellow fever £70.00 (currently unavailable for non-Highbridge medical centre patients). HepB for travel purposes £41.00 (Course of 3). Private prescription for Malaria - £13.00. Other vaccination Certificate (replacement certificate) - £26.00. Fitness to travel certificate £21.00. Fitness to travel examination/report - £75.00. Holiday cancellation report - £30.00.
- Tetanus injection (booster required every 10 years)
- Flu vaccinations (advised for over 65s and those with certain chronic illnesses, to be given in October/November each year)
- Pneumococcal vaccinations
- Childhood immunisation
Diabetes And Asthma
There are separate clinics for the management of these conditions - please ask the nurse or your doctor.
Child Health Surveillance
Developmental assessments are carried out by the doctors at six to eight weeks and by the health visitor at:
7-9 months - for hearing and developmental test
18-30 months - developmental assessment
31/2 years - vision and hearing assessment, height, weight and health education
We offer a full range of contraceptive methods: the pill, depot injection, IUCD and post-coital contraception. Emergency and confidential advice is available at all times.
There is also a family planning clinic at Bridgwater Hospital.
Incontinence advice and exercises can be provided.
Your Pregnancy...Antenatal And Postnatal Care
Pregnancy can be confirmed by your doctor following a test on a sample of your urine not less than six weeks after the last menstrual period. Antenatal care is under the supervision of the midwife with checks by the doctor at intervals. The team of midwives cover pre-pregnancy advice and parentcraft classes after 30 weeks.
Domino deliveries at the Mary Stanley Wing, Bridgwater Hospital and Ashcombe Ward, Weston-super-Mare Hospital and postnatal care at home for up to 10 days. Antenatal clinics are provided by the MIDWIVES at the following times:
- Wednesdays 1.00-4.20pm
- Thursday 9.30am-12 noon
For your health and the baby's we always advise:
- stop smoking
- stop alcohol
- avoid any medication unless prescribed by your doctor or advised by your pharmacist.
The midwives can be contacted by telephoning 01278 785913 Monday to Friday or the triage service on 01823 343985 9am-5pm.